Saturday, December 13, 2014

Conquering the fear: the ultimate satisfaction

We have to face the fear factor at every juncture of life. We all learn to stand up and start walking after overcoming the fear of falling down. We continue to defeat the while performing the simple tasks in life like asking a question to the teacher or start learning bicycle and so on. But, these simple tasks may not seem so simple when actually faces it and many of us find it really difficult to overcome this paralyzing factor.
Fear makes it tough for us to take the right decision at the right moment, thus hampering the success and progress we deserve in life.  Fear makes you think negatively. It stops and forces you sacrifice your quality of thought and performance.  We always get ourselves engraved in various forms of fear. There are so many types of fear we get succumbed into every day. The fear of failure, unknown, persons, things, death, the evil, the God all engulf our life like nothing else. But, if we can win the battle against fear we can achieve the unachievable and feel the best satisfying feeling of this world. Being fearless is not a matter of joke. Fearless persons can achieve anything.
In this context, I will like to share my experience of conquering fear and the satisfaction I get after achieving it. It sounds simple for persons not suffering from the same phobia, but believe me it takes a lot of courage and determination to overcome such phobia and persons having any such thing can only understand what I meant to say.
From my childhood days I fear water. By water I am not referring to a glass or a bucket full of water, of course, but the water bodies like river, lakes and seas. It all started when I almost got drowned in the sea at Puri, Orissa while playing with the water and enjoying the lovely beach. My mother also almost got drowned along with me. Fortunately enough, we were spotted early enough by some locals and they saved us. That incident made a big impact on me and I started fearing water bodies like anything. I just cannot stand them. Forget swimming, I could not even take a boat ride in a small lake.
Everybody thought that things will get to normal once I grow up. But, things did not seem to improve by any means. I started avoiding school trips and then college trips as they were all planned at sea sides. Even going to a picnic seems embarrassing to me as a boat ride is almost inevitable at every place.
After living almost one third of life fearing water I decided to do something with it. I felt that I have to overcome this hurdle to get back my confidence in life. So I decided to go back to that same Puri beach where it all started and planned to play in the water. Believe me, it seemed so impossible to me. My feet get rooted in the sand of the beach after staring at the water. I gathered all the bit of courage I had and just let the water touch my feet. Then I started taking a few more steps inside and then I was there waist deep, waves gushing across me and I have done it. I know it may sound unreal as almost every person in this world play freely on the beach without any fear, but believe it really takes a lot to overcome a phobia.
Now I can play freely with my friends and families in every water sports possible. I even had gone for snorkeling. Though I still feel a twitch while standing in front of vast water bodies, I feel the ultimate satisfaction that I have overcome the fear by taking those small steps that made me a more confident person than before. Come on!!! Just go for it. Take risks, beat the fear and enjoy a fearless life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My special thanks for visiting and sharing your thought.....

badge